Monday, February 22, 2010

White Out?

The Grade: 7th
The Age: 11
The Location: My Locker (Remember Those?)
The Characters: Manchu, Poor Girl

My seventh grade started interestingly. I remember my first day, I was greeted by a "What The....?" as soon as I walked into my first class. (I later found out it was because I was wearing very tight jeans with massive size-12 sneakers, and a jeans jacket that screamed "fashion disaster in isle 3.") Having attended Linden S.D.A. School for 3rd through 6th grade, I was highly unaware of what the fashions were. My entire 7th grade was spent learning was baggy, baseball caps, and Snickers Bars were.

Anyway.....

So the third day of seventh grade, I am placing my books in my locker (again, a modern marvel to me, since I was a product of Linden School), and as i'm putting my books in my locker with my tight jeans and my tight shirt and my jeans jacket, a girl comes up to me out of nowhere and asks "Do You Have White Out?" But she said it funny. I look in my locker and see no white-out, and i look in here eyes and say "No I don't." She looked like she was about to cry, and she ran away. I was trying to figure out why she said "White Out" with a "g" in it. I go into analysis mode:

When she asked, it sounded like "Do you Wav-white gout?

So, i sounded it out......"Do you Wav-white....could she mean the term 'wanna?'"

I sounded it out again....."do you wanna gout?".......I say to myself, "gout?"

Then i separated the word, and a look of shock overcame me: It wasn't "gout" It was "GO OUT!"

Her question was "Do You Wanna Go Out?"

I had just been asked out by a pretty girl who was well developed for a 7th grader.....I was MAD at myself....

So i look around for her, and I try to find her for the rest of the day.....but i don't see her for a week. Finally, i see her in the hallway while i'm walking to class with my friend, and i stare at her trying to catch her attention...

and my friend says says "Uh Oh."

I'm like "huh?"

He says there goes Mel....

I say, who?

He says "The girl your dumb a** turned down,"

I ask "HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT?".....

He says "EVERYBODY CALLS YOU STUPID BECAUSE YOU'RE NEW AND YOU TURNED DOWN THE GIRL EVERYONE WANTS"......

I'm like....."I've been trying to find her for days to tell her I thought she was asking for White-Out..."

He says "Dummy"

So.....I ended up being enemies with that girl for most of middle school, because she and her cheerleader chronies always gave me the evil eye until I finished middle school.

Ah, so that is my "White Out" story. Stay tuned--there's more on the way.

1 comment: