Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Greatest Battles...

Nostalgia is my enemy

I go through these periods of extreme nostalgia and I wish i could make them stop. It's easy for me to miss people. If you know me, that not something you would expect to hear me say--but it's a flaw i'm working on fixing.

For instance, A recent friend/potential future romantic interest, Carol, wears a rare scent that only one other woman has worn around me. This scent rocks my world (as its name subtly implies), but it reminds me of the other woman who wears it.

This is bad. Is it too much to ask for a life unmarred by the mind's subtle complexities?

I can't ask her to wear a different fragrance, and it smells amazing; however, having a memory attached to a fragrance is going to cause me problems if this leads somewhere 6 months from now. This isn't the first time this has happened.

People impact me more than I would like to admit.

I don't think this is a good thing. How do I break this cycle? Some cycles are easier to break than others, but how do I actually interrupt a constant cyclical mainstay of my life? This needs to stop soon.

Speaking of Carol....

Our spiritual beliefs vary significantly. Now, based on the content in my last blog entry, she doesn't fit the new criteria......

FAIL?

3 comments:

  1. this post made me sad...sorry blizzy, I have no wise words for you. I feel you on how scents can take to back to a place you never thought you would go back to in an instance...It's crazy what associations the mind makes..however in regards to Carol...that might be a FAIL. I need more info though...vary significantly? rather vague...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah my dear Neemie, 'tis sad indeed. I suppose only time can make such things disappear, although in this case, it might be quite a bit of time. As, with Carol, she's a devout Catholic. We haven't had the religion conversation yet--but I know it's coming, one way or another. I'm prepared for it, but being on the same page spiritually is one of my standards, so I think it is a FAIL already. Well, let the selective search begin...again. Or perhaps I should NOT search....I"ll could just let the next criteria-meeting candidate find me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, it's 11:35 and I've risen approximately 10 minutes ago. I'm NOT reading the comments above, not now at least.. OK, so here goes.

    There is no real reason or any good scientific reason WHY people affect our lives so much, of course we can front like "I DON'T CARE ...." but we ALL know this isn't true. My only theory is, we were built that way. Everything we do in life is based on someone else whether we believe it or not. Our lives are impacted by others so much that even after they've LONG gone we still remember something about them, at times this memory can be detrimental. Carol? FAIL! Any religious beliefs that vary (is that her?) would be an epic for disaster...if that's the one who I think it is, you're already dancing with Satan.

    We have memories for a reason, some not so good some BETTER than others and some just AMAZING. However they affect us, they're all significant. Think of it as a learning point in life for you. Something you've overcome. Whenever the thought comes to mind about the other female who wears Carol's scent just remember I've OVERCOME this! YES!

    ReplyDelete