Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Five Worst Moments of my Life

5th Worst:
Finding out my old Cat Kevin got mauled to death by dogs (1993)

My parents sat my sister and I down in the kitchen and told us that we wouldt not be seeing our pet cat Kevin again. (we named him after our favorite movie character--"Kevin" from the Home Alone Movies) When we started to get nervous, they told us why. He had been killed. At this point, we were starting to cry, and I asked my parents how he died. My dad said dogs mauled him in the middle of the night, and he found Kevin bleeding in the driveway and there was no way to save him. Then my sister and I began SOBBING as in, "snot coming out of the nose, difficult to breathe" SOBBING!

4th Worst: Being cheated on by the woman i planned to marry one day (I'm not putting a year here, because i don't want to blow up anybody's spot) Respect is Respect.


3rd Worst:
Finding out my parents were separating (1994)

Not much to type here, except that it did not come as a surprise to me. Just because I expected it, doesn't mean it hurt any less.


2nd Worst:
Losing my job(2004)

At the beginning of 2004, I was working full-time as an overnight security guard for a new apartment building in DC and pulling a lot of requred overtime (6 shifts a week). Now, at this point, I was a full-time student taking 16 credits with classes every single day. With that course-load and a 48 hour/week job working overnights, it was very busy--and very tired. So during my lunch break, I had permission to go into the concierge's office and sleep for an hour. Now, the building manager did not know I had permission to sleep on my lunch break, and he would sometimes leave his room to check on me. He complained to my supervisors that I was sleeping every night, and they tried to explain to him that I was on my lunch break, and since I was a full time college student, they let me sleep on my lunch break. The building manager thought they were trying to cover up for me, and he gave them an ultimatum: Get rid of him, or I find a new Security Contractor for this building. Needless to say, They respectfully terminated my employment to keep the contract. My world was turned upside down, and this lead to the worst time in my life...

1st Worst:
Being so broke, I had to empty my entire closet to search the floors for pennies to buy food(2004)

I went through an unemployment period in 2004 when i was a College Sophomore, and I was out the dorm and in an apartment by this time. Life was rough; I would buy a bag of chips and make that bag last me an entire day, because I couldn't afford anything more. Of course, life could have been much easier it i had gone to my parents for financial support, but I am a very proud man and I do not like to ask for help. I had JUST moved into an apartment with my college roommate, and there was no way I was going to ask anybody for anything. This was the Nadir of my existence. I will never be broke again...I will never be broke again...I will never be broke again. That was not living--that was barely surviving.

1 comment:

  1. Number 5 was soo sad..:(, I can def relate to number 3...oh and Number 1, as proud as i am, i love to eat more...def broke down and called daddy.

    ReplyDelete